Monday, December 9, 2019

Writing Workshop - Opinion Essays (Santa Shop Week)

Greetings!

Please see updated homework section below! 

Writing 
This week, students in fourth grade will continue on our Opinion Writing Workshop journey! The main goal of this week will be to shift from gathering ideas for writing essays to drafting quick drafts of essays so that we may begin revising.

Book -It 
Students in fourth grade ELA are expected to read 1 hour a week in order to receive their Book-It awards. Students should read on multiple nights a week. Their assignment is broken down into 15-minute-per-night segments, 4 or 5 days a week; of course students may read more each night. Students wanting a reward MUST complete the entire form and return it on the day it is due. 

Scholastic
For the students in my homeroom, my class code is TTBNT if you want to order books online.  Thanks and have a great day!

Contacting Me
Feel free to contact me at the school with questions and concerns, and I will do my best to answer them, or direct you to the person better equipped to help you. During the school day, it's probably best to contact me via email (sabrandenburg@norwayne.net), or via the Remind app, but before and directly after school, I can also be reached via the school phone  (330-435-6383 ext. 10412). If I do not answer your voicemail quickly, it is probably because I have been unable to access it for whatever reason. Please be understanding that technology is great, but it sometimes has its hiccups!


Hope you have a great week!

Miss Brandenburg

Homework this week in Language Arts class will be assigned as follows:
Monday: Practice elaboration prompts (the activity from class) with parents/babysitter/etc (Students received a paper in class listing the elaboration prompts titled "Ways to Push Our Thinking"**)
Tuesday: Write a Flash Draft (This is a super quick draft of an opinion essay. They did this before in class with our class example - "I love ice cream." Set the timer and write!)
Wednesday: N/A
Thursday: Finish writing draft, if not done in class.
Friday: N/A

*Ongoing - students should be practicing their vocabulary with the cards we cut out in class and reading the story once or twice throughout the unit. Students should also read 15 minutes a night.

** Ways to Push Our Thinking
·          In other words…
·          That is…
·          The important thing about this is…
·          As I say this, I’m realizing…
·          This is giving me the idea that…
·          An example of this is…
·          This shows…
·          Another example of this is…
·          This connects to…
·          I see…
·          The thought I have about this is…
·          To add on…
·          I used to think that…, but now I think that…
·          What surprises me about this is…
·          Many people think…, but I think…

No comments:

Post a Comment